The 2014 Virginia General Assembly amended the Waste Kitchen Grease statute ( http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title3.2/chapter55.1/ ) As a
result of that action, effective July 1, 2014, all waste kitchen grease (WKG) transporters subject to registration under the statute will be
required to conspicuously display a decal provided by this office on the registered vehicle and carry a copy of the registration certificate
inside the vehicle.
All WKG transporters who were registered prior to July 1, 2014 were issued and should have received the corresponding decals. All new and renewing registrants will receive their decals in the mail shortly upon completion of the online initial or renewal registration.
Please contact Sandy Harrington at Sandy.Harrington@vdacs.virginia.gov or (804) 225-4601 for additional information.
Exempt or Non-Exempt?
To determine if you are required to register as a transporter of waste kitchen grease you will need to review the following statements:
An individual who transports waste kitchen grease for his own conversion to biofuel shall not
be required to register provided that he:
- transports waste kitchen grease in a container(s) with a total capacity of no more than 275 gallons on any one vehicle at any time;
- possesses or controls no more than 1,320 gallons of waste kitchen grease, biofuel feedstock derived from waste kitchen grease, or biofuel at any time, excluding any biofuel contained in the vehicle’s fuel tank; and
- does not obtain waste kitchen grease from (i) a container owned by a registered transporter of waste kitchen grease, (ii) a food establishment under contract with a registered transporter of waste kitchen grease, or (iii) a container owned by a renderer or collection center.
An individual who transports waste kitchen grease to a facility for the purpose of conversion to
biofuel shall not be required to register provide that he:
- meets all the requirements of Subsection A (above);
- transports waste kitchen grease to no more than one facility, other than on his own property, during a one day period;
- such facility has a capacity to produce no more than 500 gallons per day of biofuel; and
- such facility does not possess or control more than 1,320 gallons of waste kitchen grease, biofuel feedstock derived from waste kitchen grease, or biofuel at any time, excluding any biofuel contained in the vehicle’s fuel tank.
If ALL the answers under either Section A or Section B apply to your standard business operations, you are exempt from the registration requirements. If you would like a letter stating this exemption, please click on the “Exempt” button below. If you cannot answer yes to all the questions under either Section A or Section B, you are required to register, pursuant to §3.2-5509. Please click on the “Register” button below to begin the registration process.
Please use this LOGIN to access your application.
- Transporters of waste kitchen grease are required to register as a business as well as register all vehicles used to transport waste kitchen grease. The fees are $100/business registration and $100 for each vehicle registered. Registrations are valid for one year from the date of registration.
- For a public search of the registered transporters, click here.
- Accepted payment methods: Visa, MasterCard.
- For a link to the Statute, click here.
- All applicants must submit proof of personal injury and property damage liability insurance in an amount not less than $1 million. You will be required to upload an electronic copy of your declarations page.
- Accepted formats for required attachments: PDF, JPEG, PNG, Bitmap, Gif, DOC, DOCX.
- Pursuant to §3.2-5512 Display of registration information on motor vehicle: No person required to register under this chapter shall transport waste kitchen grease without (i) having in his possession a registration certificate and (ii) conspicuously displaying a decal issued by the Commissioner on the exterior of any vehicle used for the transportation of waste kitchen grease.